Compressor Filters: Defeating the Damage of Dust
Troublesome dust. It is of genuine concern to all plant operators who maintain compressors. They know premature wear, decreasing efficiency and costly downtime are threatening to any equipment operation that is not well protected from dust.
That was the exact problem facing a large Southeastern cement plant. The situation in its mill room had reached a critical stage. Airborne dust was doing real damage.
Four (4) Rotary Compressors were furnishing air for pneumatic conveying systems that transport finished cement to storage silos from three (3) finish mills. To cope with the abrasive dusty environment, the plant was using impingement-type, oil bath filters to protect the compressors. Unfortunately, the compressors were not getting the protection required. Downtime reached an all-time high.
FLSmidth was approached to solve the problem. With its extensive experience in manufacturing both compressors and dust collectors, FLSmidth was able to develop and offer its new Compressor Intake Filter which delivers clean air to any type of compressor.
This new filter traps particles smaller than 1/4 micron. Heavy-duty bags of spun polyester are the filter element. Pre-coating may also be employed to raise filtration efficiency. Each bag has a five (5) inch (125 mm) diameter (48) to furnish a maximum air-to-cloth ratio of ten (10) to one (1), with capacities through 12000 SCFM (340 cmm).
The four (4) compressor intake filter installed in the cement plant have sixteen (16) bags with 400 square feet (37m2) of cloth area and can handle 4000 SCFM (113 cmm). Each filter serves a separate compressor, although the units can be mani folded for multiple compressor installation. Seven (7) months after the first filter installation, the compressor had never been off the line for repair.
Before your plant runs into real trouble, look into FLSmidth Compressor Intake Filters. They can safeguard your compressors against premature wear and low operating efficiency while eliminating downtime.
All units are pre-engineered and shipped fully assembled for easy customer installation. A descriptive bulletin with full specifications is available.
For applications requiring:
- Reduced downtime
- Increased reliability
- Reduced maintenance man-hours
- F-K Screws - a large inventory of popular and standard screw sizes is maintained at our Manheim plant. Consult the available listing to match your requirements. Other sizes may become available throughout the year, so please consult FLSmidth Corporation for these not listed. Each F-K pump exchange screw is completely repaired and dynamically balanced in two planes. The following materials are included:
- New flights and hard surface rod as required
- Spray bronze
- Balancing weights and wheel
- Renewable sleeve and steel pin
- Screw gasket
- One set of balancing hole set screws and weights.
- Drive key.
- F-K Pump Air-Cooled Seal Assembly - next to the screw, the air-cooled seal assembly is the second most important part in the F-K pump. It is recommended that either a new or factory rebuilt Exchange Seal Assembly be installed each time a screw change is made to insure correct pump performance. Never replace the graphite ring only.
Exchange Seal Assemblies include graphite ring, O-ring, springs, fan, screw gasket, drive pins, cotter pins, rebuilt seal ring bushing and hopper bushing, the hard-faced insert of which is ground, polished and lapped.
- F-K Pump Bearing Housing Assembly - the pump bearing housing should be rebuilt either when a bearing needs replacement or when difficulty is experienced replacing the screw. Problems with Air-Cooled Seal Assemblies can also be attributed to the condition of the Bearing Housing Assembly. Exchange Bearing Housing Assemblies are supplied with new screw bushings, original equipment bearings, new grease retainers and seals. Housing castings which do not comply with bearing cavity specifications are replaced with new castings. When required, two set screws per bearing are added to assure secure holding of bearings in housing cavities.
Parts, Service and Technical Support for your Fuller®-Kinyon™ Pump and Ful-Vane™ Compressor
- Field Service
- Rebuilds offsite or onsite
- C14Technical support
- Emergency repairs
- Local warehousing of wear parts
- Compressor/Pump Screw exchange program
- World class warranty